Haha, cheesy title, eh? But bear with me for a while.
There are about 3 weeks left until the end of the school
term. Only 3 weeks to do everything I need to do. It seems like plenty, but for
me, the big assignments are due much sooner than that, so it’s really less time
that I have.
In one sense, I feel it would be fun to apply myself every
minute of the day to homework. It would make a good story. I could pretend
(yes, there’s nothing wrong with pretending, even when you are an “adult” J) that I’m away at
boarding school and have to study. But when you’re only pretending, you don’t
have to face the consequences of that story, or the same challenges. When you
hit those same challenges for real, that’s when you realize how difficult they
are.
It’s not as if these assignments are that difficult – it’s
mostly my attitude. Somewhere along the line, I picked up the idea that it’s
ok, normal, or even beneficial to be whiny and evasive of my homework. It’s
kind of what you do in high school… Except it usually means you don’t do as
well. How is that helpful to me, other than causing more stress in the end? When
did success and diligence become uncool? I have to forget what everyone else
says (ie. that homework is uncool, and that what other people see as cool
actually matters) – how they feel the pull to procrastinate, like I do, and are
seemingly okay with it. Maybe it’s me; that when they share how difficult it is
to stop being distracted and focus, I say something like “it’s okay, me too”
and never really think about how to change. It’s not really their fault, but
somehow my procrastination has been enabled by the general attitudes of the
students around me for years. Or at least I let it.
So it’s hard, but appealing to not to think about this
enabling, and instead to live inside my own story, or at least the way I think
things ought to be (and therefore also the way I want them to be). In my own
story, I know it’s good to study, and I have a goal, so therefore I will make
myself study. It’s difficult but appealing to walk my own path; to know that
there are easier options than studying, but that they ultimately have worse off
results. I want to stop listening to the voice that says it’s okay to
procrastinate, because that never gets me anywhere worth being. God has generally
always dug me out of the holes I have fallen into that I make for myself via
procrastination. That is awesome that He has kept me surviving, but I don’t
want to continue to live in mediocrity. If I could enable discipline, I
wouldn’t dig holes for myself in the first place. And avoiding the awful pit of
procrastination would be lovely. J
In everything I am trying to do the help myself to do my
homework (ie. try to soften the blow by making tea, or putting on music), I
realize that inside I am really trying to make the act of studying easier for
myself. Some things, however, will never be easy, and sometimes I have to rise
to the level of the challenge instead of making it come down to where I am.
There are a few things I can do to make things more
manageable and motivate myself, but if my primary mindset is that the task has
to be made easy enough for me to accomplish it, I probably never will.
It’s also true that the other extreme is not helpful, either
– beating myself down and making myself feel bad about failure will not motivate
me to do any better. I have lived in both ditches, and I must both love and
discipline myself to continue down the road. But it’s a road that goes to a
good place, and I know God is helping me walk there.
For once, I want to be a person who has a grip on things –
who moves with purpose, integrity, and intention rather than letting life
overtake me.
Discipline is like a ladder that I can climb up to face my
challenges.
It’s an empowering thought that for once, I could live my
own story and walk my own path without doing what everyone else seems to be
doing. That’s really the carrot at the end of the stick – to become a little
more independent by saying no to procrastination. Life can be rough when we’re
kids and teenagers because we never quite feel free. When we are adults we have
the wonderful gift of independence. This also naturally comes with its stresses,
as well as pitfalls we can fall into if we don’t handle the gift correctly. But
there’s the good side, too. If we do use it correctly so as to help us become
all that we can become, then we really can live our own story; be heroes and
heroines and face down our challenges; conquer the mountains we face instead of
just looking at how big they are. That’s a good place to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment