Last week at
ballet, I got so frustrated at myself for not being able to do the steps to our
recital dance perfectly (even though we just learned the whole dance).We were
rehearsing the dance, and In the back of my mind, I was waiting for our teacher
to call me out and correct me, or get mad (I guess those two things, correction
and anger, can be synonymous in my mind, which they really aren’t). When she
finally did correct me for something (which was only once), I was so frustrated
at myself already that it made my mood worse. I want* to get this growing and
grace concept down – the concept that I’m growing, so I can have (more grace)
for myself in that process. Instead of focusing on all the mistakes I’m making,
this means I can focus on the things I’m doing right, and the progress that I
have made. I am making progress, and that is a success to be celebrated. I can
surrender those mistakes to God, and ask Him to help me realize His grace, and
that my identity isn’t in my mistakes, but in Christ. It’s okay to be where I
am right now, and I am working and moving towards something greater and more
mature than I am right now.
Isn’t that what
God has done and is doing for us? He accepts us just as we are, and then works
to refine us, heal us, and take the mess out of our lives one step at a time.
It’s like that statue analogy. God is carving and chiseling away all the excess
stuff, and the finished result will be beautiful. He will work on us all our
lives, chipping away. But even before we are finished (which we won’t be this
side of heaven), God sees inside that block of unchiseled stone that we are and
sees the precious statue inside – what we can be in Christ. Romans 5:8 says
that God loved us even before we loved Him, being the messed up people that
humans are; He loved us when we were still sinners. God sees our mistakes and
takes us anyways, because He loves us. But in the words of The Skit Guys, He
loves us too much to leave us that way. He values us even though we are far
from perfect; and He takes imperfect people and refines them, chisels away at
them, to make them more like Christ. Our lives become God’s great art project,
and we become more beautiful and mature in His hands. It hurts sometimes, but
the result of God’s work is growth, maturity, and character – all which help us
reflect Christ more and more.
Every blog post I
have written lately seems to be about ballet and what God teaches me through
it, but that’s ok. I guess I learn so much from ballet because it’s a
challenge. It is not something that is easy, or that I know how to do well, or
that I’m very good at right now. It is something that God has been using to
refine me. It brings up character flaws, or shows me disconnects in my
thinking, and I get a chance to work those things out with God. He uses it to
tangibly teach me life lessons. I’m not just learning to dance – God is using
it to refine my character. What a great classroom. God’s life lessons can be
tough to learn, but they are very, very cool, and the result is growth. So
cool. Not to mention that we get to wear tutus at our year end recital in four
weeks… Hehe.
Here are some good verses about God’s
grace and character development:
Therefore,
since we have been justified by faith, we
have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through
him we have also obtained
access by faith
into this grace in
which we stand, and we
rejoice
in hope of the glory of God. Not
only that, but we rejoice
in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces
endurance, and
endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope
does not put us to shame, because God's love has
been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
For while
we were still weak, at the right time Christ
died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die
for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to
die— but God
shows his love for us in that while
we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since,
therefore, we
have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the
wrath of God. For
if while we were enemies we
were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are
reconciled, shall we be saved by his
life. More than that, we also rejoice
in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
~ Romans 5:1-11
The process of growing can be
hard, but God loves us, has forgiven us, has given us a new identity, and
enables us to grow through His Spirit. He is awesome!
*I originally wrote “need,” but then
God helped me realize that “want” is healthier for me to say to myself right
now, because it is goal-oriented language rather than requirement-oriented. J Goals are about
self-motivation, and aiming at where I want to go and grow, while satisfying requirements
can become only about meeting the standard and making other people happy (in a
bad way). If I only live with requirements and standards in mind, I tend to
feel the pressure to be perfect and put those standards onto who I am. However, God has been teaching me to grow
because I want to, and growing is good, rather than just being better to meet
some standard.
P.S. Last week in class, we
practiced standing with good ballet posture, which is so much harder than it
looks. It is basically a strength workout for every part of your body without
actually moving anything. You have to take standing seriously in ballet. But
anyways, I did a tendu today randomly (ballet moves have subconsciously become
part of the things I do while standing), and to my happy surprise, my body
automatically went into correct ballet posture. I was very excited. Yay for correct
posture!
P.P.S. I realize there is a lot of
stuff and truth in that Romans passage, but I only really focused on the part
about God’s love towards sinners and the growing through hard challenges we
face (“suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character…”).
P.P.P.S. I also realize that almost
every entry in my blog has been in a slightly different format… Whether it has
been the spacing, the font, the font size, etc. I will try to fix this. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment