I just got home
from my beginner ballet class, and it was both difficult and great. We are
madly practicing for the spring recital, which is in four weeks (we only have
four rehearsals to go). Our class wasn’t learning the steps at the rate my
teacher wasn’t us to, so she changed things to make them much simpler, but so
that it still looks cool. Today we learned this new and simply choreography
(and some old choreography that I never really learned), and what has up to
this point been mostly trying to move my legs and point my toes now looks like
a dance.
Life can be a
lot like choreography. Trying to figure it out all at once can often be
overwhelming, but if we go one step at a time, we can make it to the end. In
the case of my life outside ballet (ie. school), it’s one assignment at a time;
one chapter at a time; one half-hour study block at a time. It’s the small
steps that make up the big movements. Sometimes big things make life happen
fast, but for the most part in everyday life, I find that it’s the small steps
that move us forward and make what needs to happen happen.
In the world of
school, the term is almost finished. Project due dates and exams are on the
horizon. It can feel overwhelming (correction: it usually does), like a string
of different dance steps in my mind, but it’s helpful to ask myself what I can
do with my time right now. I can’t finish everything at once, but I can read my
book, or write part of a paper, or answer a few questions in a half hour. I can
even stretch for ballet. Anything helpful is good, and I don’t have to get down
on myself if I miss the mark. I can just start from now and do what I can – taking
it one step at a time.
I know that’s
probably so cliché sounding, but tonight at ballet I really did literally have
to take it one step at a time. The choreography that all the dancers were doing
has now been made into a duet for another dancer and me. Thus, it was revealed to
everyone that I didn’t know the steps, or even how to start this particular
section of the dance. I was pretty much clueless, because I had been focusing
mainly on trying to do the section right (which was pretty much a flustered flurry
of trying to follow along) instead of taking a deep breath, breaking it down,
and concentrating on every step. The
thing about that is that when you know every step, you can put them all
together into the dance, and it looks fine; but when you don’t know the steps
separately, there is no dance. It was embarrassing when I was singled out
because I wasn’t dancing, but I had to stop trying to swallow this whole
particular section of the dance (ie. expecting myself to know it all right
away) and learn each step separately. That can be humili….. –izing? Something halfway
between humiliating and humbling. Hehe. We went through it quite a bit and I
got better as I tried to focus less on looking kind of right and just learning
each step separately. I also asked for help at the end from my teacher, which
was great. And now I know what to do.
I like how the
lessons I learn in ballet tend to correlate to the rest of my life. Today I started
my day feeling so overwhelmed with my various assignments that I quit and didn’t
do any work. It was a setback for sure. I thought I should be doing everything
at once (not literally, but I got stressed out over everything I had to do
instead of taking one bite at a time), and I probably don’t have to say that I
can’t juggle very well. So I dropped all the tasks and went and released
stressed on Pinterest with a friend (Pinterest is both a blessing and a curse
sometimes…). It was the same thing as the steps that I couldn’t do it class; I
wasn’t focusing on one at a time, so I went nowhere. I am getting back on track
now, mainly due to this real life metaphor and how God has been hammering it
into my head. I like how God uses ballet to teach me things that aren’t as
obvious to me in real life (or things that I know but sometimes ignore. I
really do know that I can’t juggle assignments, but I just didn’t listen to
reason today…). It’s pretty sweet. In September I was wrestling over whether to
do ballet or not, because it cost extra money, and I felt like I wasn’t getting
any answer from God – but He’s ended up using it a lot to teach me both big and
small concepts. It has been an amazing thing for me. God is very creative. J
And one note to my future self: even if it looks hard, try! It's better (and more productive) than doing nothing.
So whether your
steps are literal or figurative ones, it is so often way more manageable to take
them in stride. We don’t have eight feet, and can’t multitask eight things at once
(unless maybe you’re a mom of a young child? I’ve heard that they can be very
adept at multitasking J),
and less stress usually = better decisions. I’m glad to have had this
demonstrated to me in a literal way. Next time, I won’t forget. Hehe. Object lesson
complete. Onward!
P.S. I feel so
sore right now, but it is awesome! I feel like I got a workout from this class,
and that we squeezed as much as we could have out of it. We learned a lot more
of our dance, and just in time! Only four rehearsals to go!
P.P.S. I like
blogging more regularly, and I think it’s a good release. Sometimes I have
thoughts and no where to put them, and other times I need to put thoughts into
words so that I understand them myself. Hence, a blog! I will probably be
posting more regularly.
No comments:
Post a Comment