November 29, 2012
We say (or I do,
at least) often that God is good. He is. But today I realized that this is not a ‘grin ‘n’ bear it’ statement – we say
it because God is really good. He pours His goodness into our lives, and He is
ready to help us as any time. He really is always there for us, even if we
don’t feel like we can come to Him. We can. He is always accepting.
That being said,
God will give us good things. He wants to give us gifts. :) Jesus said that if
even human parents know how to give their children good gifts, God, the perfect
Father, will surely give us good things. But even though God gives us good
gifts, we have to keep Him first in life no matter what. If we take our focus
off of God as our number one, as the most personal relationship in our lives,
we will end up confused and a little lost. God has been working through a
process with me this week where He was straightening out my thinking about Him
and about other people. The gifts He has given me are good, but I forget
sometimes that they are from Him in the first place. The gift is good, but the
Giver is ultimate. He is awesome! God wants to pour out His goodness into our
lives through gifts, but the ultimate is relationship with Himself. For
example, my mom can give me something – let’s say she gave me an iPod. I can
spend all day listening to that iPod. I can appreciate the gift she gave me a
lot, and recognize that it is a symbol of her love for me. But if I never thank
my mom, if I never spend time in relationship with her, the gift is no longer
really a symbol of her love for me and of the relationship between us. It
becomes about the iPod, not about the fact that she is my mom and she loves me,
because I am no longer focusing on the reason that I have the iPod in the first
place. That reason is that I have a relationship with my mom.
The other reason
we need to keep God first is because what we do affects other people. As
Christians, one part of our purpose is to build other people up and help the
people around us. If I am no longer conscious of how much God loves me (on my
relationship with God) because I am focusing a gift instead of on Him, then I
can no longer express God’s love properly to other people (because I am not
realizing it myself). Part of our calling is to love other people, and in order
to do that we need to be and receiving God’s love so we can pass it on to
others. The key is wholeness: the more we receive God’s love, the more He heals
us, and the more whole we become as people. The stronger we become in this
relationship, and the stronger we become as people, the more we can minister
that love to other people around us. I firmly believe that God can use anybody,
but first they must submit to Him and want to be used (or at least be open to
what He has for them)*. This has been the case in my life, at least. I finally
submitted to God’s plan for my life, and walked with Him (relied on Him and on
His voice, because He was the only direction I had) as I started doing what He
told me to do (in this case, going to Bible college and making friends, among
other things). He blew me away with what He was speaking to me. God is my Father? I thought. And He wants me to know this enough that
He’s telling me? He cares enough about me that He led me to deal with some
issues. Submitting to God in that and dealing with those issues opened up the
way for the next awesome thing that God had for me – enjoying and making
friends! Even though God had good things for me, He was the reason for them; why
shift my focus away from God and become focused on the gifts when it’s the
relationship with God that is so fulfilling? That is what we were created for.
We are made for relationship with both God and other people; but the place
where we have all of our needs fulfilled is our relationship with God.
*Here are some more thoughts on
that. The prophet Isaiah was a sinful person, just like the rest of Israel. He
had a vision of God in His temple, glorious and radiant. Isaiah was sinful, but
God cleansed him and made him clean. That is how he went from a regular person
to a prophet. My take on this (and what I wrote above) is just that God can use
anyone, as long as they are willing. He can because He is the Healer; He takes
away the thing, sin, that separates people from Himself (ie. salvation through
Jesus), and heals people from all of their wounds and brokenness. He puts them
back together again. God also can use anyone as long as they are willing, because
the kind of people God uses are those who are willing to be used by God. It’s
not because they are better than anyone else (that they have more education,
are more spiritual, or anything; we are all equal and created by God for a
purpose). It is because they are willing for God to use them.
No comments:
Post a Comment